FABULOUS VIEWS: PRIVATE ANDALUCIAN VILLA WITH OWN POOL AND LARGE GROUNDS, IN TRANQUIL SETTING - SLEEPS 6
• 2 kilometres from the beautiful white hillside village of Canillas de Aceituno
• 20 mins from the lovely typically Spanish town of Velez Malaga
• 25 minutes from the coast
• 60 minutes from Malaga airport
‘Bajo La Maroma' (beneath Maroma) is so called because it looks up to the highest mountain in this part of Southern Spain, La Maroma.
With open-plan living, sitting and kitchen areas, high vaulted ceilings, pine doors and window shutters this villa has a fabulous spacious feel and wonderfully combines the modern with the traditional.
Sitting and dining areas:
• sitting area with log fire, seating for 6, coffee and side tables and bookcase with books and information files, some games
• dining area with a large dining table and seating for 6
. TV for watching DVDs only
• newly fitted with modern units, double Belfast sink, ceramic hob, combination microwave/grill/convection oven, fridge-freezer, electric kettle, slow cooker, food processor and toaster
• very well equipped with cooking utensils, tableware and even a selection of herbs and spices
• 3 spacious double bedrooms, 1 with king bed and the others, each with 2 single beds
• large built-in pine wardrobes
• fans, hair-dryer, chests of drawers, side tables, chairs and also some toys and items left for your considerate use
• bathroom 1: newly fitted in modern, rustic style with bath, shower, WC, wash-basin and fitted wooden shelving
• bathroom 2: en suite to main bedroom – newly fitted with WC, basin unit and shower; tiles chosen to mimic the red glow of evening sunlight on the mountain which is viewed from the window
gas heaters are available, but please note that these should never be used in a closed room.
• Private pool 8 x 5m with Roman steps, set in the pool terrace with a built-in BBQ and Moorish style 'sun-downer' bench
• extensive garden and grounds
• rear terrace
• Moorish outdoor shaded ‘chill-out' area
• tables and chairs, garden bench, parasol, sun-loungers
Things to do
This villa is suitable for families, friends and couples who will appreciate the tranquillity and wonderful views of the surrounding countryside but there is also a wide range of activities nearby for all of the family, including all the opportunities offered at the coast.
Within 30 minutes:
• lots of local walks including to: the village, with ancient Moorish buildings and water cisterns dating from 15th century; the bat cave and water spring; the surrounding hills and vineyards
• the lovely historical town of Velez Malaga and outside it, El Ingenio modern shopping mall with hypermarket, department store, various shops, bars and restaurants, cinema and fitness centre
• the beach and coastal resort of Torre del Mar with a 4Km expanse of beach having walking/jogging route and exercise stations for all ages, along the way
• Lake Vinuela, water-park, go-karting, golf, tennis
Under an hour:
• huge, amazing caves at Nerja with prehistoric remains
• beaches galore – from Malaga to the Costa Tropical which is characterised by cliff-backed beaches and offers scuba diving, wind-surfing, kite surfing, para-gliding, jet-ski, fishing, nudism etc
• hot springs just outside the historical town of Alhama de Granada, set in rolling hills between Caniilas de Aceituno and Granada. The town has an old Moorish quarter and within the area are lakes and a large reservoir at Bermejeles (where we have a Cortijo - please ask if you are interested in seeing this) In this area you can arrange accompanied mountain and gorge walking, mountain biking, and a variety of adventurous activities.
• Malaga with its old city centre, Picasso Museum, castle and many other sights
• Swimming at Lake Bermejeles 15mins from Alhama de Granada (see above)
• Granada with its famous Alhambra Palace, Cathedral and gypsy flamenco district
• the ancient town of Ronda with beautiful buildings, famous bullring and a spectacular gorge
• flamingos at Fuente de las Piedras
• Gibraltar, Seville, and Cordoba
There are many festivals throughout the year in Andalucia, including, in the village: Dia del Morcilla (free sausage and beer), San Isidro (where the ladies wear beautiful flamenco dresses and there is free paella and beer) and the 3 day August Fiesta; at Easter, impressive processions in Velez Malaga and the re-enactment of the Passion in Rio Gordo; in July, the International Jazz Festival at Almunecar to name but a few.
Of course you can always go nowhere…in spring listen to hoopoo, frogs and nightingales, find wild orchids and irises, smell the orange blossom on the terraces beneath the villa or gaze out on to the mountain-sides, covered with grape, almond, citrus and avocados. In summer, you may prefer just to swim in the pool, sunbathe, or sit in the shade of the carob tree, hear the goats and sheep, with their bells, as they meander across the hillsides and watch shooting stars by night.
If you enjoy nature, bird watching, photography, painting or writing, then the world is your oyster.
All in all, if you want peace and tranquillity, with things to do close at hand, this is the place for you!
Please note that the villa is accessed via a municipal country road after leaving the main Velez to Canillas road. The last section however is private. The final 200m is unsurfaced and may deteriorate after heavy rains. Only once in 20 years has it been necessary for guests to park above the villa, but be aware.
Follow Owners Abroad on Twitter
A tranquil villa in Iznate, Nerja. Offering stunning sea views, a private pool and shaded areas you can enjoy a holiday in a peaceful location, where the Spanish live and tend their grapes, olives and almonds.